Re: adding src/README.md

On 10.10.2018 05:36, Rin Okuyama wrote:
> On 2018/10/10 11:58, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>> On Oct 10, 2018, at 3:23 AM, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me know if you have any objections. I'd like to commit it soon.
>>> <README.md>
>>
>> I think this is great idea.
>
> I agree that it is convenient for users of GitHub mirror. However,

I'm in favor of plain text (README without .md extension) that is
syntactically markdown compatible and in the same time not hyped with a
currently popular format, file extensions or the currently popular set
of extensions for Markdown (GitHub uses so called "Flavored Markdown",
probably everybody uses a set of extensions).

This plain text will be forward compatible.

(Also Markdown is triggering some people, especially in the *roff
circles. Additionally Markdown is not the only one supported by GitHub,
there are rdoc, textile, org, creole, rst, asciidoc etc.)

> - Why are you hurry to commit? README.md is first official document,
>   which users from GitHub encounter. I think we should have more time
>   before publishing it. Otherwise, it can mislead users.
>

> - Why do you mention only CVS repository although it is intended for
>   users of GitHub mirror? At least, the relation between CVS and
>   GitHub mirror should be elucidated. Otherwise, users get confused.
>
> - Why "VAX" and "M68k" are capitalized while "arm64" and "amd64" are
>   not? Why don't you use "aarch64" instead of "arm64"? How do you
>   choose options for build.sh (what happens if they don't have ~/obj)?
>   etc.

I would reuse the existing project description rather than crafting
something new from scratch with biased usage options.

I've copy-pasted project description and stored it here:

http://netbsd.org/~kamil/README

It contains quick introduction, explanation what is the project about,
building introduction, testing introduction and useful resources.

I've omitted: biased command line for building the release, currently
popular mirror and currently popular VCS.