Re: nbawk: non-terminated string echo x86_6... at source line 73

    Date:        Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:01:01 -0500
    From:        Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost>

  | however, strangely, with #!/bin/sh, it results in:
  |
  | $ MAKE=nbmake PATH=/home/netbsd/hg/tools/bin:$PATH /bin/sh ./tst
  | ./tst: line 4: .: sets.subr: file not found

Your earlier config showed /usr/bin/sh as the path to the shell (HOST_SH)
it was using, so you'd probably want to try "#! /usr/bin/sh" instead

But that line also shows /bin/sh ?   Do you have both, are they the same?

  | BASH_FUNC_module%%=
  | BASH_FUNC_scl%%=

Is one (or both) of those sh's bash ?

  | For what its worth, forcing HOST_SH to /bin/bash didn't help.

No, I don't think it is the shell (whichever shell) that is causing
the problem - the "echo ..." line would be output from make if anything,
almost as if the "@' prefix on the line (suppress output of the command)
was being ignored for some reason.

kre