Re: Build system race conditions

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 19:32:53 +1200, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

Folks,

we have some annoying fallout from every build now on the releng autobuild
cluster after it has been speed up quite a bit.
Any help/hints greatly appreciated!

I seem to be able to reproduce the problem, so I guess that's a start. Since this is a non-deterministic problem, "reproduce" may be an overly strong word to use.

I'm using the releng source tarballs from 201409121050Z and I'm only building evbarm-earm. I have tried to reproduce the releng environment by using tmpfs for TMPDIR and building with -j 24. I've adjusted the default limits in login.conf and rebooted so that I don't hit the shell bug that David Holland has found.

I'm currently running builds with ktrace so that I can see who is doing what to whom and when. The errors I have seen all seem to involve corrupt files, so we should be able to cross reference the build logs with the ktrace log.

I have no idea if this will all hang together, but the computer is doing all the hard work, so I'll let it run.

Cheers,
Lloyd