Re: malloc.h (was: Re: status update - gcc 4.5 - some what working)

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 06:26:59AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

> > On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 09:11:54AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> >  > Could we replace NetBSD's /usr/include/malloc.h with #error "Nobody
> >  > should ever include malloc.h", or just delete it?
> >
> > I'm going to give the former a shot locally and see what happens...
>
> what's the goal here?  i don't see much point in removing or breaking
> <malloc.h>.  i'd probably be OK with making it emit a warning (that
> -Werror would convert) but otherwise this seems like cleanup that isn't
> actually helpful.

The only useful thing in malloc.h is mallinfo and mallopt. We don't
support that and as such, malloc.h is pointless. It is/was used by
people who are clueless. Breaking it explicitly shouldn't put any
non-trivial strain on pkgsrc, since at least DragonFly already has the
problem.

Joerg