Re: building modules by build.sh (Re: exec: /sbin/init: error 8)

> > > If you do that, and the new kernel doesn't work, how do you regress
> > > back to the old one ?
> >
> > There is no problem if kernels are versioned properly.
> > If they have the same version, the new modules _should_ still work.
> > If they have the different version, modules are installed different dirs.
>
> That's a _huge_ pile of dangerous assumptions to make.

Yes, it is, as well as old lkm(4).

So, what's your point?  Just blaming well-known existing problems?
Unfortunately, there is no perfect world.

My point is that kernel modules will provide more benefits
than generic versioning issue so we should consider better strategy
with several compromises to migrate from traditional monolithic.

For current users on the edge, we can simply add a suggestion
"try MONOLITHIC first then modular GENERIC," as well as
"update kernel first then userland."
---
Izumi Tsutsui