dealing with "unknown" from `uname -p`

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> BTW, on Cygwin, "uname -p" doesn't return error
> but "unknown" strings (while "uname -m" returns i686).
> Should we handle it i bsd.own.mk and build.sh?

HOST_ARCH in bsd.own.mk is used only to set HOST_OSTYPE, which in turn
is used only to set default for the obj dir and TOOLDIR.  Since "uname
-p" is not defined in SUSv3, perhaps we should just stop using it, and
use HOST_MACHINE!=uname -m instead of HOST_ARCH!=uname -p.

If we really do need uname -p (on hosts that support it), then I think
both bsd.own.mk nd build.sh should be changed to check for "unknown" in
addition to checking for failure.

--apb (Alan Barrett)