Re: build.sh: set creation is serialized

On 1-May-08, at 5:26 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 04:14:09PM -0500, James Chacon wrote:

One can always run build.sh in different stages if thats truly an

but it's much easier to run a single command that does all the
needed steps.

That's partly why I have always (since the beginning of build.sh) created yet another script as a wrapper to build.sh. (I also have a highly regularized scheme for setting all the target directories based on the local machine I'm doing the build on.)

A script to run the different stages with different -j values could easily be built into build.sh, just as my script could be. However as has been said all the knobs already exist in build.sh (except that you can't build libs separately any more it seems) and it's trivial for anyone to use build.sh as a tool from within a very highly customised local script, don't you think? It seems to me the amount of requirements analysis and design effort needed to combine even just your needs and my needs into build.sh would be more than the result would be worth to others.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>