Subject: Re: Crosscompiling
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@clank.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/27/1999 09:05:10
On 27-Dec-99 Scott Reynolds wrote:
> Without commenting on the general thought -- I'm not sure if I like it or
> not -- I would like to point out that "xcomp" would be an unwise choice,
> given that it already exists.

One thing that does sound unhappy about shipping the cross-compilers, is the
build time it would add to the release process.

Also.. I'm not convinced they would be useful on all architectures.  How many
people cross-compile on a vax or m68k?  (I know there are a few of you.. but..)
Having to build 10 cross-compilers that might never get used on a vax would
probably suck for that portmaster.

Perhaps it should be an optional set.  Ie alpha, i386, sparc could ship it..
others could just choose to ship it if they felt inclined to do so.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>