Re: "hg clone https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src/" still aborts, but...

At Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:48:20 -0500, "J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: "hg clone https://anonhg.netbsd.org/src/"; still aborts, but...

> On 06/13, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > The time to do the checkout is clearly limited by the NFS server
> > (especially since it's on an entirely separate physical machine with a
> > 1GB ethernet link), but that's in theory at least exactly the same
> > amount of I/O and data that Git has to move to do the same checkout.  HG
> > is just way slower, at least when doing the primary bundle unpacking
> > during the clone operation and again during the initial "hg checkout".
>
> Didn't Roy Marples show that his Mercurial clone was only 12 seconds
> slower than your Git clone?

Sure, but he didn't show a fresh "git clone" on his hardware for
comparison.  Without that his number is just a meaningless number.

Either way, just the local "hg checkout trunk" was way slower than a the
_WHOLE_ remote "git clone" on my system.  (7200s vs 5000s)  Now for HG
add three HOURS more for the unbundle (and another 500 seconds to
update, plus whatever time it takes to fetch the initial bundle).

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>