Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/ocamlnet

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:13:01AM +0300, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
 > > I have been using Mercurial fairly heavily for several years; it has a
 > > couple rough edges and we'd probably need to write a couple extensions
 > > before switching all of NetBSD over. It seems entirely preferable to
 > > git, the major problems being (1) it requires Python and (2) nobody's
 > > yet managed to do a repo conversion to it.
 >
 > The (1) is not a problem, but just somewhat unusual for a BSD developer.
 > Or are there any objective issues with Python, except inability to ship
 > Python based tools within the base system?

Well, that's a major issue.

Keep in mind that the basic problem with Python is crosscompiling it.
Using Python and Mercurial from pkgsrc doesn't help with this; the
effective result would be that if you're running on $SLOWPLATFORM you
couldn't check out or update either NetBSD or pkgsrc before you
compiled Python locally. This is a bit of a problem.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost