Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/ocamlnet

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 09:07:58AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> However, what I wanted to suggest was that we move pkgsrc-wip to
> github.  It's possible I've drunk too much kool-aid in the last few
> years, but I think that it would be a very good proof-of-concept, and
> would also hopefully encourage more contributions - I don't know of
> anyone choosing to use Sourceforge these days, everyone I know is on
> github, and pull requests make it easier for them to contribute.

Easier than committing to the main repository themselves?

To make it the same as we have now, we'd have to give everyone direct
github commit access to the new repository. That's a big piece of
work one time.

What do you suggest as merge method? That's one thing that's not very
clear to me, what a good general procedure would be with many
committers on a big mostly independent tree like pkgsrc(-wip). Best'd
probably be automatic-pull-before-commit-plus-push, to mirror what CVS
does; that'd give the least merges. I'm interested in suggestions for
this point.

Moving to tech-repository...
 Thomas