Re: Issues with the git server

Howdy,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 at 8:43am, Julio Merino wrote:

> Hello Joerg,
>
> For the first time ever (and finally!) I decided to try your Git
> mirror of the src repository and, along the way, I experienced a bunch
> of issues.
>
> First, when I attempted a clone yesterday, the operation failed
> halfway through saying that a particular object from the repository
> was corrupted.  (It may just be that I ran out of disk space in this
> case though.)  I tried again afterwards and the clone finished
> successfully.
>
> But today (a mere ~12h after the original clone, and without having
> done any edits to the tree at all), I did a "git pull" and the merge
> failed due to conflicts.  The output was:
>
> # Changes to be committed:
> #
> #       modified:   external/gpl3/binutils/dist/bfd/elf32-vax.c
> #       modified:   external/gpl3/binutils/dist/gas/config/tc-vax.c
> #       new file:   sys/arch/powerpc/include/mpc8xx/spr.h
> #
> # Unmerged paths:
> #   (use "git add/rm <file>..." as appropriate to mark resolution)
> #
> #       both modified:      sys/dev/sdmmc/sdhc.c
> #       both modified:      sys/dev/sun/cgsix.c
> #       both modified:      sys/net/if_ethersubr.c
> #       both added:         usr.sbin/npf/npfctl/npf_disassemble.c
>
> Upon inspecting the files with conflicts, most of them were due to
> $NetBSD$ changes.  But other regular changes also caused conflicts, so
> it seems as if none of the changes to these files could be merged
> successfully... which seems strange.

I used to encounter similar issues until I changed the way I pulled in
updates.  Usually if I want to update my local cloned copy, I do the
following from the root of my cloned tree:

 # Fetch *all* updates from upstream
 (trunk) $ git fetch --all

 # Pull in changes from origin/trunk or whatever tracking branch you have
 (trunk) $ git pull

Then, if I notice there's changes to another branch I'd like to track, I
do the following:

 # Switch branches
 (trunk)   $ git checkout netbsd_6

 # Pull in changes from origin/netbsd_6
 (netbsd_6) $ git pull

Note that it can take a while to check out a different branch since a lot
of files change between branches.

HTH!

--
Chris Fuhrman