Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 07:43:00PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> How much work is really required for any of these choices is not
> clear. For the most part nobody here seems especially motivated to do
> that work, so in general we're waiting for people upstream to get
> around to it. But of course if someone wants to put the work in,
> they're welcome to do so.

Be careful here -- I am quite motivated, I am just completely unclear what's
needed and more importantly *why* -- and until then, if there's another way
around a given problem without having to implement it directly, depending on
what it is, that too might be just as favourable.  I am not clear where your
perceived "lack of motivation" is coming from; speak only for yourself.  :)

> Meanwhile, until someone does or things improve upstream, talk of
> adopting one or another system is just talk.
>
>  > > The current status is that no available system is suitable....
>  >
>  > It is my opinion that this is, in part, because we've "decided" (in the
>  > usual NetBSD default way) on a set of requirements that makes this so.
>
> I see no sign that this is true, and I don't see any reason to believe
> that the technical gaps can be filled by compromising the project's
> development practices, even if that were a desirable thing to do.

Perhaps, but we need less philosophy, and more proaction; something I have
tried to start via other threads.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.