Re: what's missing from CVS? extending CVS?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:10:25AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 > I saw another email said:
 >
 > > Here is a preliminary list of requirements for a version control
 > > system for NetBSD.
 >
 > Can we also list which of the requirements are missing from CVS?

Sure. In loose order of importance:

 - No rename operation.
 - Slow. Branching and tagging are in particular extremely slow, to
   the point of unacceptability.
 - No disconnected operation.
 - Cannot handle private branches.
 - Has no native support for slave copies of the repository, and
   making our own (as we do) exposes us to assorted bugs and hazards.
 - Anonymous access is a major nuisance to administer.
 - No tree-wide atomic commits.

 > Maybe a temporary or long term fix is to extend CVS?

Not workable - too many of the problems are inherent in the way CVS
manages and thinks about its data.

Also it's (AIUI, never looked inside it myself) not very maintainable.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost