Re: Removing built-in support for sqlite3

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2024 at 07:37:30AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>  >   How do we change to rejecting any other base sqlite3 as soon as there
>  >   is a package that needs a feature that pkgsrc sqlite3 has and the base
>  >   sqlite3 does not?
>
> Blacklist it by OS version, I guess.
>
>  >   Given the above, how do we ensure that no package ever links against
>  >   any base lib which links against base sqlite3, in the (normal) case
>  >   when base sqlite3 awas rejected?
>
> This is already handled by the builtin logic. That's the point of my
> whole objection.

I see your point and that seems fine in theory.  In practice we will
reject any base sqlite that is lower than the highest version required
by any package, or which is missing any feature that is in the pkgsrc
version and is needed in any package.

I think the contrarian view is that this is so messy, and base sqlite is
so unlikely to be ok, that just saying no, while theoeretically
imperfect, will safe a lot of grief.

You may wish to look at the proposed actual patch from wiz for a
finer-grained objection.