Re: Scripts with PHP shebang & mbedtls (wip/hiawatha)

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> I think you need to decide on one of three paths:
>
>   A) the file is installed and the package depends on php
>
>   B) the file is not installed
>
>   C) make hiawatha-letsencrypt or hiawatha-scripts that installs just
>   the script and depends on php, while base is option B.

I'm not really sure what C means. Could you explain?

> A and B are easy.  A gets users php when they don't want it, and B makes
> them fish the LE script out of source if they want it.  C is the right
> answer probably, but it's actual work -- but maybe not that much.  I
> don't know how big hiawatha is and how much php hurts, and how to choose
> between A and B.

I would assume that if someone is going use hiawatha for anything other
than a local server they'd probably want php since it does things with
tls. I'd prefer to lean towards "work for everyone" other than "go out
of your way to make it work."

> There is a way to say php is needed, and which versions are acceptable.
> One needs to include
>
>   ../../lang/php/phpversion.mk
>
> I am not sure why 82 isn't ok (that's strange in 2024), but if upstream
> documents 8.3 only, then that's how it is.  Set PHP_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED
> (but read the mk file below for docs).

Okay, thank you. I'll read up on it.

> I think you might be about to say "but it doesn't really depend, and it
> would be nice to not require it at build time, and let the script work
> at runtime if php is there".  Maybe, but pkgsrc doesn't do that; it
> means the "for all programs with #!, the interpreter is there" and "if
> you install it, things all work, regardless of what else" properties are
> broken.
>
> I don't follow
>
>   When I add php as a dependency or as a bl3 it always fails the
>   checksum for php.
>
> what if you add application.mk and set PHP_VERSIONS_ACCPETED=83?

I'm going to try this and see how it goes. Thank you!