Re: macOS clang has enabled -Werror=implicit-int

At 11 Mar 2024 14:37:17 -0400, "Amitai Schleier" <schmonz%schmonz.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: macOS clang has enabled -Werror=implicit-int

> This thread is about a problem that I believe exists in both. Yay!

I do see the same and similar problems with Xcode 15.

Indeed the current Clang Diagnostics Reference says about -Wimplcit-int:

	"Some of the diagnostics controlled by this flag are enabled by default."

  https://clang.llvm.org/docs/DiagnosticsReference.html#id423
  (that's for Clang-19.0, but seems to apply to 16.0 as well)

> It's not just Apple's clang that turns
> these kinds of warnings into
> errors. Upstream clang 16 does too:

I've actually had to add -Wno-sign-conversion for Clang-16.0.6 on
FreeBSD-14 where some of FreeBSD's own header files cause errors!

I think the safer thing to do is to use "--std=c90" (or even c89, or
gnu90, etc. in the relevant circumstances) by default, since that's what
most legacy code has been written to.  That _should_ cover all compilers!

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>