Re: Switching default version of PHP/RUBY and retirement...

Hi,

In message <rmi8r43vldi.fsf%s1.lexort.com@localhost>
	on Thu, 01 Feb 2024 18:02:33 -0500,
	Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
> My understanding is that there is nothing that needs php80, in that
> every package that works with 8.0 will work with 8.1.  So that seems
> fine.
Yes, removal of php80 have the least problem.

> I really don't understand the situation with php74 and especially php56.
> If you want to delete those, we should have a removal proposal that
> identifies the packages that will be removed.
I don't intend to remove those obsolete version of packages quickly.

> While I see the point of cleaning up cruft, it doesn't feel like the
> presence of php56 (to pick one) is causing trouble.  We need to have a
> "versions accepted" mechanism no matter what, and packages that only
> take 5.6 are coded that way, and I don't see that this is causing anyone
> to have to do any ongoing work.  Am i misperceiving?
There are two poionts:

1. PHP 5.6 is old and security problems are left on pkgsrc.
2. Many packages only accept php56 are not well maintained on pkgsrc
   and there are security problems here, too.

So, I wish update those unmaintained packages but I do not have enough
time.  :-(

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca%NetBSD.org@localhost>