should default php version be higher?

I have been working on wip/zoneminder and thus noticing php.  FWIW,
zoneminder seems fine with 74, 81, 82, 83.  I didn't try 80, and I only
tried 74 because an older wip zoneminder needed that and it was installed.

Currently we have

  56 74 80 81 82 83

and the default is 81.

Upstream information is at

  https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

which says:

  74 is fully EOL (as of late 2022)
  81 is security-fix-only (as of late 2023)
  82 is current, active suport ends December 2024
  83 is current, active support ends December 2025

pkgsrc changed to 81 in November 2023, which I think is when 80 went to
not even security fixes.  I can see the point that moving to 81 was a
conservative choice, the least aggressive member of the set of
reasonable actions, to get us to a supported version with minimal
breakage.

I realize that while many packages are ok with newer, and newer is
usually better, some packages probably are lagging.  I do not understand
the details or PHP culture.

However, I wonder if we should be moving to 82 now (rather than in late
February), to try to maintain a stance of "default php in pkgsrc is a
fully-supported version".   But I don't know how much that will break,
and I don't have cycles to pick up the pieces.

Opinions?