Re: un-self-conficting python packages for non-default python

Am Tue, 19 Dec 2023 06:52:25 +0100
schrieb Thomas Klausner <wiz%gatalith.at@localhost>:

> In pkgsrc, such packages (that conflict with other Python versions of
> themselves) should be marked with PYTHON_SELF_CONFLICT=yes.

I guess I'd rather check for that variable and ensure that I build
those packages only with the default python …

> The usual workaround is to rename the binaries from foo to
> foo-${PYVERSSUFFIX} and add an ALTERNATIVES

… and do that if I really feel the need …

> Do you have cases where this is not sufficient?

… but not now since this really is not about usage but just blindly
building things. I don't have any actual cases. I am not involved
enough in Python culture to make the call that something is really
useful in the parallel installs.

Once a dependency occurs that prevents me to build something else with
multiple pythons because of one such self-conflicting package, I'll
consider the ALTERNATIVES. But having to ensure that everything is
calling the versioned scripts is for sure not fun.

So, away with those patches for now. Thanks!

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis