Re: PKGREVISION conflict between HEAD and stable

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> I've commited security patches for Xen packages, and bumped PKGREVISION.
> Now I'd like to get these fixes in the stable branch.
> The problem: xentools415 also got a PKGREVISION bump for a dependancy change.
>
> At this time, HEAD is at xentools415-4.15.5nb2, -stable is at
> xentools415-4.15.5. If I request pullup,
> -stable will either get xentools415-4.15.5nb1 or xentools415-4.15.5nb2.
> If we go with xentools415-4.15.5nb1, then we have two different
> xentools415-4.15.5nb1 packages, one with the security fix and one without.
> If we go with xentools415-4.15.5nb2, then we have two different packages
> (different dependancies) with the same name, which may bread 2023Q3->2023Q4
> upgrades.

My two thoughts are:

1)

  Just increment pkgrevision once in your pullup request, because that's
  the straightforward approach.

  Do not worry that HEAD has different content for the same binary
  package name, because someone running stable should only have ever
  installed from stable sources or binaries built from stable.

2)

  We don't really have a plan and these versions don't really accomdate
  "branch revision++".  We should work around it.

  Set PKGREVISION to 2 on the branch, because while nobody should rely
  on it, it leads to "4.15.5nb2 is ok."

  To deal with "what if we don't revbump before Q4", just change
  PKGREVISION to 3 on head.  A few rebuilds that might not be necessary,
  and a few pointless upgrades, but no real trouble.

Overall I lean to .