Re: Documented way to update python?

Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> writes:

> Depending on the number of packages installed, and the computing power of
> the build system, I've found that
>
> taking a list of the current user-installed packages,
> moving ${PREFIX} out of the way,
> re-bootstrapping (just takes some cycles on NetBSD, needed on other
> platforms),
> and rebuilding each of the packages on the list that was taken
>
> should DTRT, even in the face of major package version bumps (assuming
> python/perl/postgres/mysql and friends are installed as prereq for
> something more usery-level). If there's fallout, nuke the new ${PREFIX} and
> move the last good ${PREFIX} back in its place. I have a simple script to
> achieve this, should anyone want it, but it's kinda hardcoded to me; it
> could be made more generic, though

Yes, but:

  that leaves the system unusable until the build finishes

  it's sort of like running a pbulk and binary upgrading

  it doesn't address how to move from py310-certbot to py311-certbot,
  unless you mean to rebuild PKGPATH and ignore PKGNAME

  none of the methods (not a criticism of this one) deal with
  incompatible upgrades like databases across major versions

but indeed it is one of the N ways to do it.