Re: Updating editors/helix to 23.05

atomicules <base%atomicules.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> More of a question than proposing this as an actual patch. I was poking
> about seeing if I _could_ update Helix from 22.12 to 23.05. The changes
> per the attached diff "worked for me" (NetBSD amd64), but I'm probably
> missing some context as to why the grammar files were split out as they
> were.

You may wish to consider staging an update in pkgsrc-wip.

> 1. I had to export `GIT_SSL_CAINFO=/usr/pkg/share/mozilla-rootcerts/
> cacert.pem`. `git` works for me normally, but I had to do this to get it
> to work from the Helix build. Just mentioning it.

Two separate issues:

  If the package build is running git and using the network, that's a
  bug.  Fetches should only happen during the fetch stage.

  Generally, adjusting CAs for use by programs is an admin thing.
  Either mozilla-rootcerts-openssl (cannot be a dependency) by the
  admin, or the NetBSD 10 certctl, or other OS's equivalent.  Packages
  should not override this config.

> 2. None of the patches applied, nor do they seem to be required. It
> built fine without them and it seems to be running ok.

Generally on update, we try to apply patches, resolve conflicts, and if
they don't figure out what happened.  If the patch is to code upstream
deleted, fine.  But it doesn't sound like you assessed that.  For your
private use, party on, but for an updated staged to be applied to
pkgsrc, we try to be careful.  Often patches are for things that only
happen on some platforms.

> 3. The pre-configure datadir bit didn't seem to be needed (and didn't
> work if I kept it in)

Here too the path is understanding what upstream changed.

> 4. If I tried to use the Makefile as it was then the grammar build
> section would fail and complain about untracked files, e.g:
>
>         Failure 122/122: qmljs Git command failed.
>         Stdout:
>         Stderr: error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by checkout:
>
>     I'm guessing that's due to upstream changes? I had a little look,
>     but couldn't say for sure. So I just went for the approach in
>     [the docs][1] and did `hx --grammar fetch` followed by
>     `hx --grammar build`
>
> I guess my main questions are:
>
> 1. Were the grammars done that way for a reason? If so...

In general, anything that is not obvious should have a comment.  And in
general, many things that should be commented are not.

Beyond that, read the commit logs; they may have a hint.  And the diff
that set the lines in question.

> 2. Do I need to keep that approach? I.e. figure out a way to get it to
> build grammars? Maybe using `git clean`, `git switch --force`, etc?
>
> [1]: https://docs.helix-editor.com/install.html#building-from-source

I really don't know, but it sounds like  things are not  really set up
reasonably upstream, which makes this challenging.

I hope somebody who understands this package will answer your questions.