Re: Broken USE_PKGSRC_GCC handling

* On 2023-10-10 at 10:07 BST, nia wrote:

* On 2023-10-10 at 09:13 BST, nia wrote:
> The changes cargo-culted a block that contained a very obvious check for both
> NetBSD and OPSYS_VERSION, and deleted both, which I think is incorrect in any
> circumstances. People need to be better about WorksForMe(tm) style commits  :/
>
> The ideal fix would be to check the compiler version rather than the OS
> version, but I don't have the capacity to work on this task at the moment.

Thanks for fixing this in the short-term.  Yeh that sounds good.

I would also like to extract all of the GCC_REQD logic from gcc.mk into a
separate file and include it unless USE_NATIVE_GCC=yes or USE_PKGSRC_GCC=no.
That would reduce the chances of similar issues in the future, simplify
things a lot, and also mean those using native compilers do not suffer with
the GCC_REQD performance problems.

That will obviously need a lot of testing, so I'll hopefully have a branch
up for folks to try out soon.

It should be configurable whether to allow pkgsrc to pull in its own
compiler when the native one is not new enough. We need this for our
NetBSD production builds, but some people disagree with the behaviour
entirely.

This should already be the case. The default is this behaviour (which yes, I strongly disagree with, but going by previous threads I appear to be the only one, so I'm definitely not looking to change it), and users should be able to opt out of it by setting USE_NATIVE_GCC=yes.

I just want to simplify things so that in the USE_NATIVE_GCC=yes case, none of the GCC_REQD logic, and all of the associated calculations trying to figure out installed GCC versions, is loaded at all.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com