Re: cross/cross-libtool-base dependency fails when cross-compiling

> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 12:27:56 -0600
> From: Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost>
>
> For me, it is pretty clear that the issue is with the definition of
> _COMPILER_ABI_FLAG.${ABI}.  Configuring cross-libtool-base for
> earmv7hf leads to compiler failures because the compiler does not
> accept -m64, which is the default value of _COMPILER_ABI_FLAG.64.
> I'm guessing that most earm* builds do not set ABI explicitly, in
> which case I think _COMPILER_ABI_FLAG.${ABI} goes unused and the
> values do not matter.  This is a case, however, where it does get
> set and fails.

But I'm confused -- the only place that _COMPILER_ABI_FLAG.* is used
is under `.if defined(ABI) && !empty(ABI)'.  Can you confirm, e.g. by
putting some .BEGIN: debug targets in compiler.mk, that ABI really is
undefined or empty at this point?

The patch may be correct -- not sure, still catching up on EuroBSDcon
email and related matters, haven't looked closely -- but it seems that
this has to be a problem with native earm builds if it's a problem for
your situation.

I suspect the real problem is that ABI is wrongly getting set
somewhere, despite your attempts to clear it somehow.  But maybe I
misunderstood; once I get through my post-EBC queue I can take a
closer look.

It may also be that I've fixed this in my local changes (not
accessible to me at the moment) by giving ABI a proper cross/native
split, respected by cross-libtool-base -- if so, apologies for the
hassle about this, will share my patches soon.  There are similar
issues with variables like OBJECT_FMT that I know I fixed, as was
needed to cross-build NetBSD packages (ELF) on macOS (Mach-O).