Re: Cross-compiling pkgsrc

I’m trying to cross-compile pkgsrc again now that I have the NetBSD host set up with the results of build.sh.

I’m following information in

	https://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/doc/HOWTO-use-crosscompile

with an unprivileged bootstrap of pkgsrc.

As described, my mk.conf has the following:

   USE_CROSS_COMPILE?= yes

The following looks like the reasonable set of minimal dependencies, i.e., what I would expect from a typical pkgsrc setup:

# cd /pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest
# bmake clean-depends clean USE_CROSS_COMPILE=no
===> Cleaning for cwrappers-20220403
===> Cleaning for mktools-20220614
===> Cleaning for digest-20220214

However, I believe the following should do the same, since digest should be a native package even in the cross-compile setup.  It clearly adds a bunch of additional dependencies, which result in a circular dependency graph.

# cd /pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest
# bmake clean-depends clean
===> Cleaning for cwrappers-20220403
===> Cleaning for mktools-20220614
===> Cleaning for checkperms-1.12
===> Cleaning for gmake-4.4.1
===> Cleaning for perl-5.36.1
===> Cleaning for gsed-4.9nb1
===> Cleaning for gcc6-6.5.0nb8
===> Cleaning for digest-20220214

The documentation linked above suggests that it is possible to use an unprivileged setup for this.  Is that correct?  If so, how?  Is there another reason all the extra dependencies are being pulled in here?

The only parts of mk.conf that depend on USE_CROSS_COMPILE are the following:

.if !empty(USE_CROSS_COMPILE:M[yY][eE][sS])
    MACHINE_ARCH=        evbarm
.endif

.if empty(USE_CROSS_COMPILE:M[yY][eE][sS])
    ABI=    64 # set for native amd64 build                                                                                                                                                                  .else
    ABI=    # empty for earmv7hf cross-build                                                                                                                                                                         PACKAGES=   /pkgsrc/packages/pkgsrc-2023Q2/NetBSD-9.2-evbarm
.endif

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook