Re: Should pkgsrc rely on pkgsrc-tree execute permissions

Am 11.09.2023 um 12:22 schrieb David Brownlee:
> Should a pkgsrc Makefile be able to rely on execute permissions on files
> in the pkgsrc tree? (Taken from a pkgsrc-users@ thread as I'm asking for
> an explicit policy)
>
> I feel that there should be an explicit policy, to be documented in the
> guide, of:
> - pkgsrc must not rely on execute permissions being present on files,
> and there should be a recommended mechanism to (which could be "Always
> chmod after copying from files/ to worksrc if it needs to be
> executable"). Extending it to "Do not set execute permissions on files
> checked into pkgsrc" might be nice, but I would not mind if that was not
> the case.
> or
> - pkgsrc can always rely on execute permissions being present on files,
> and any exception is a user configuration error
>
> My preference is for the former, but there should be a policy, with a
> note in the guide (I'm happy to make any update).

I completely agree, and while this policy is not documented in the
pkgsrc guide, pkglint has been warning about it since 2004-06-06, see
https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/commit/368a1c635514dd3b385b903ab2644184fd010399.

It should not matter whether all pkgsrc source files are executable or
not, the resulting packages should be the same. Ensuring this might be a
good idea for a bulk build variant.

Roland