Re: Remove USE_GCC_RUNTIME?

* On 2023-08-11 at 09:56 BST, nia wrote:

Hey, since the recent talks where people expressed a distate for
GCC-specific hacks in pkgsrc, I wonder whether it's worth bringing
this variable up:

# USE_GCC_RUNTIME
#       Packages which build shared libraries but do not use libtool to
#       do so should define this variable.  It is used to determine whether
#       the gcc runtime should be depended upon when a user has enabled
#       USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME.

In my opinion this is a historical wart - not using libtool (while
unfortunate) is increasingly common with more packages using cmake/meson
instead. In my eyes the gcc runtime should be depended upon whenever
USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME is set.

The problem, as I explain in:

  https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/blob/trunk/mk/compiler/gcc.mk#L723-L731

is that doing it by default will cause circular dependencies. I'm not hugely against removing it, I for many years now have had my own variant using:

  https://github.com/TritonDataCenter/pkgbuild/blob/master/include/gcc-libs.mk

instead which just sets _USE_GCC_SHLIB=yes directly for anything not in the gcc build path.

It's just yet another area where the out of the box experience is likely to be terrible, and removing this will probably make it worse, but I really dislike all of our compiler magic and would lean towards making it simpler to reason about.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com