Re: default C versions

Havard Eidnes <he%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

>>> So, what to do?  Nothing or add a USE_LANGUAGES+= setting?
>>
>> multiple things to do:
>>
>>   Stop using NetBSD 8.  Seriously, it's past due to upgrade everything
>>   running 8 to 9.  I personally have no 8 systems, and I don't worry
>>   about things not working on 8.
>
> Get 10.0 out the door! :)

For pkgsrc, it would require a change in doctrine to stop claiming it is
supported.  For individuals, there is no rational basis to couple
stopping using 8 and 10.0 being released.

> I admit that the only powerpc 8.0 system I run is this bulk build
> host, all the others have more recent versions.

I suggest that you just stop then.

> But it's showing its usefulness in detecting this particular sort
> of issues.

We already know, and I think it's far more work than it is useful, but
maybe that's just me.

> When I started looking at this (in particular the KDE build
> failures), this popped early up on my wish list.  However, this
> could not be done manually, since the KDE ecosystem uses lots of
> non-KDE C++ libraries, so you can't confine GCC_REQD setting to
> just the KDE ecosystem without also running into possible
> compatibility issues.

You keep saying that, but we don't have recent complaints, and I don't
think it makes sense to avoiding fixing one bug because there is another
bug.

> I thank you for the other suggestions, I suspect I'll run out of
> steam (or 10.0 is released?) before getting to those...

Again, 10.0 being released has nothing to do with stopping using 8.  You
and everyone should stop using 8 because it is crufty and the rest of
the world has decided it's ok to require recent language specifications.