Re: bsd.prefs.mk vs bsd.fast.prefs.mk?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 11:05:18PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> 1. Should it be used by package Makefiles?
> 2. Should it be used by supporting foo.mk or Makefile.common files?
> 3. Should we mass change one to the other?
> 4. Should we rename: bsd.prefs.mk -> bsd.slow.mk, and
>    bsd.fast.prefs.mk -> bsd.prefs.mk, and make everything just use
>    bsd.prefs.mk with no change to the guide?

I'm not a fan of mass changes for the sake of changing things. Unless a
file has a good chance of being included multiple times, bsd.prefs.mk vs
bsd.fast.prefs.mk makes no difference. In practice, it should be used by
all buildlink3.mk files, but outside those it doesn't hurt, but isn't
preferred either. It would be even better to teach make to detect and
handle this case by itself, similar to what every modern C preprocessor
does. But I don't have the mental energy to invest into that.

Joerg