Re: PYTHONBIN for cross-compilation to different LOCALBASE

Taylor R Campbell <campbell+netbsd-tech-pkg%mumble.net@localhost> writes:

> 1. Some makefile rules, such as the do-build rule to run setup.py,
>    will execute it at compile-time.
>
> 2. Its value is baked into some packages like in #! lines for
>    execution at run-time.
>
> With the TOOLBASE/LOCALBASE split I proposed earlier
> (https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2023/06/11/msg027658.html),
> it will become necessary to distinguish these two roles.

My quick reaction is that

  PYTHONBIN should be for the target system, via lang/python/application.mk

  TOOL_PYTHONBIN should be for the build host via USE_TOOLS += python or
  something like lang/python/tool.mk.

Of course some packages may use both.  Probably most python packages as
py-culture is to run python programs to configure.