Re: the state of python 2.7

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> belatedly, and not entirely on-topic, while I'm not a user of Python
> 2.7 myself, I expect to be using OpenJDK 8 until the end of time.
> Not as much of a problem for pkgsrc as there aren't thousands
> of dependent packages, but still highly likely to code rot.
>
> As a teenager, I wrote thousands of lines of code for Java versions
> prior to 8. Many of these depend on APIs that no longer exist. Many
> of them are tied to old bytecode formats and will simply never work
> with newer versions. Preserving this code is very important to me
> on a level beyond technical aspects.

I wish you luck in your openjdk8 maintenance endeavor.  I suspect that
the presence of the openjdk8 package will cause almost zero trouble for
others.  The pain of python2.7 is having a large and constantly changing
set of py-foo packages that have to be versioned.  The actual python27
package does not seem to cause any trouble.