Re: font missing in firefox

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 08:12:14PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hello,
> I noticed that my firefox on NetBSD is not displaying some fonts.
> For example https://www.lip6.fr/?LANG=en on the top right there are
> links to change language, link to webmail and to intranet. These links are
> UTF-8 characters that should show some icons, on linux they show up properly
> but on NetBSD (10-beta) it just display a rectangle with some hex in it.
> It's possible I'm missing some fonts on my install but from what I understood,
> firefox should download them. The debugger shows that the font used it
> "opensans-bold", and I didn't find a package for this.

I think these are webfonts that are automatically loaded by the page.

In my NetBSD firefox they are displayed and I see that they have
colors (the flag is a UK flag, the mailbox and lock are blue) so my
guess is that they are fonts using PNGs internally.

For that you need a freetype2 with PNG support. The one included in
NetBSD does not support this (because that'd mean we need to
distribute libpng), but the pkgsrc version has png support enabled by
default.

For that reason, I'm using modular X.org:

X11_TYPE=       modular

Setting that and recompiling your packages will most probably fix this.
 Thomas