embedded paths in rust builds

I am updating synapse to 1.68. which uses rust.   Not really grasping
the right way, I started out with rust.mk, which built, but failed at
install time with

  => Checking for work-directory references in matrix-synapse-1.68.0
  ERROR: /usr/pkg/lib/python3.10/site-packages/synapse/synapse_rust.abi3.so:      Binary file /tmp/work/chat/matrix-synapse/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/lib/python3.10/site-packages/synapse/synapse_rust.abi3.so matches
  ERROR: *** The above files still have references to the build directory.
  ERROR:     This is possibly an error that should be fixed by unwrapping
  ERROR:     the files or adding missing tools to the package makefile!
  *** Error code 1

and that file had strings that had WRKSRC paths.  I then changed to
cargo.mk following the guide (thanks to whoever actually put text in the
guide!) and the problem went away.  But I don't see where in cargo.mk
this is avoided.

I raised this with upstream and would like to explain if I think there
is or isn't a bug in synapse still.