Re: Doubling performance of pkgsrc/mk

* On 2022-10-24 at 19:04 BST, John Klos wrote:

This makes a HUGE difference on slower hardware. For instance, here's benchmark/flops (I wasn't going to wait for Python to compile) on a 33 MHz m68030 running NetBSD-9.99.100:

=> Creating binary package /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All/flops-2.0.tgz
    1625.10 real       672.92 user       749.24 sys

versus

=> Creating binary package /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All/flops-2.0.tgz
     958.06 real       389.40 user       415.06 sys

Great!

Are there edge cases we should test, or are you running bulk builds with this tree to shake things out?

I'm running bulk builds, and the latest one just finished:

  https://us-central.manta.mnx.io/pkgsrc/public/reports/upstream-bulktest/20221023.1802/meta/report.html

I can't find any failures in there that are due to my changes, so I think I've now covered all of the issues that I was aware of, however I'd still love extra testing of this, just because it's such a large number of changes to critical parts of the infrastructure, and I can't rule out edge-cases that change behaviour and now no longer work.

I'll also let it sit in my release branches for a bit, with the aim of getting it in with plenty of time for additional widespread testing prior to the 2022Q4 freeze.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com