Re: where are we on python 2.7?

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 12:57:46PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > Do people think we have a few stragglers, or a lot?  Is somebody easily
 > able to run a script over a bulk build and list packages that are py27
 > only (excluding the py27 half of versioned_dependencies)?

One can quite readily grep makefiles for PYTHON_VERSIONS, and that
shows ~330 packages that are py27-only. Some of them claim to be that
way because they depend on things that are py27-only, but since this
creates a presumption that they haven't actually been used in python3
most of them probably don't work themselves either.

This doesn't count however many more fail to build against python3 but
haven't been annotated, but at this point that's hopefully not many.

It also, though, doesn't count those that build but don't run, and we
don't have any way to even estimate those.

Some of them are things that we want to keep around but would take
work to migrate, like firefox52.

Crosschecking the results also turned up some oddities, e.g. devel/gyp
sets PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE=27 in its Makefile but
PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=27 in its tool.mk.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost