Math/R build missing libicuuc error

I am trying to build the math/R package on a Linux host and am running into the following error partway through the build:

make[4]: Entering directory '/fs1/project/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2022Q2/math/R/work/R-4.2.0/src/library/tools'
installing 'sysdata.rda'
/fs1/project/pkgsrc/pkgsrc-2022Q2/math/R/work/R-4.2.0/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.50: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This still occurs even with an added dependency on textproc/icu.

It also occurs when I remove all references to -licuuc from anywhere in the entire R source code.

It also occurs with a —with-icu=no configure option and in any case the configure script indicates that it is skipping ICU.

This step occurs at a point where the build process tries to run a version of R within the build directories, i.e., pre-installation.  Nevertheless, I am baffled how the binary has a dependency on libicuuc at all given that it occurs nowhere in my source tree.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  Any suggestions on which direction to pursue?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook