Permanently fixing the gettext/iconv whack-a-mole

To cut a long story short, Linux ships libiconv and libintl in libc, which means loads of software doesn't correctly check for them and we end up having to add hundreds of overrides across pkgsrc, some manually with LDFLAGS+=-lintl etc, some with BROKEN_GETTEXT_DETECTION=yes.

Something has changed again recently, most likely the libtool update, that means we need to start adding a load more of these. As an example, the top 3 broken packages currently in the SmartOS daily bulk builds:

  https://us-central.manta.mnx.io/pkgsrc/public/reports/upstream-trunk/20220731.2256/meta/report.html

are all new failures because of missing -lintl, breaking around 2,000 packages between them.

I'm fed up of this crap, and am testing a diff to explicitly add the proper LDFLAGS whenever gettext-lib or libiconv are bl3 included:

  https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/commit/b5da12756521090c64b43c29481df6d39f11330b

It's currently going through a bulk build, and the initial results are looking great. I'll post them when I have them.

I'd appreciate review and testing on other systems. One topic up for debate is whether they should be applied via CWRAPPERS_APPEND rather than LDFLAGS, as that helps avoid them being hard-coded into various build systems (ruby for example passes the configured LDFLAGS to all module builds).

Thanks,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com