Re: pkgsrc/lang/npm build failure: IPv6 failed connection

On Thu, 12 May 2022 at 08:09, David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 11:28:31AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>  > Attempting to build pkgsrc/lang/npm on an IPv4 connected netbsd-9/amd64 box
>  > is failing for me with:
>  >
>  > + node . i --ignore-scripts --no-audit --no-fund
>  > npm ERR! code EHOSTUNREACH
>
> Builds shouldn't be downloading!

Just an update on this - while builds should absolutely not be
downloading, I'm not the right person to try wading around inside npm
to try to fix it.

As a workaround (for anyone else interested in similar situations) I
ended up stopping any IPv6 AAAA records from being returned for
registry.npmjs.org.
(This is using dnsmasq)
I _should_ have been able to add address=/registry.npmjs.org/:: to
dnsmasq.conf, but it turns out npm fails when the DNS returns a list
of valid IPv4 addressed and one empty IPv6 (sigh), so ended up using
server=/registry.npmjs.org/ in dnsmasq.conf and adding a single
"104.16.20.35    registry.npmjs.org" to /etc/hosts

David