Re: py-build dependency circular dependency

On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 01:33:26 +0200
Leonardo Taccari <leot%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello folks,
> When updating py-typing-extensions to latest version I had missed a
> new circular dependency in Python 3.7 introduced probably both by
> switch to wheel.mk and py-flit_core tool dependency, i.e.:
>
>  py-build -> py-importlib-metadata -> py-typing-extensions -> py-build
>

> Any idea how to possibly address that?
> Thank you!

py-typing-extensions are possible to install on any platform without
building, deps leading up to py-build must be installed this way or
built someway without py-build.

wheel.mk supports downloading pre-built platform independent packages
by doing the following:

set MASTER_SITES to ${MASTER_SITE_WHEEL:=packagename/}
set NO_BUILD to yes
the compatible python versions controls the py2py3 parts (compatability
tags) of the filename being downloaded so in your case set
PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE to 27, typing-extensions only has py3 in
the filename.

see testproc/py-tomli/Makefile for an example of the above.

I should document the above procedure better in wheel.mk .

Regards Niclas