Re: databases/sqlite on powerpc

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 08:24:39PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > Nope, it's UB in the source :-(

Joerg asked on IRC if it's undefined or implementation-defined; it
might be implementation-defined, in which case unless powerpc has
recently developed some very unusual integer properties it's gcc's
bug.

I can't remember for sure and I can't right now find the relevant
language in C99. (Plus, it's different in C89...)

 > > although building the tool without optimization might also be a good
 > > idea as when there's one problem like this there's likely more.
 >
 > That's an interesting concept, and probably deserves a longer discussion
 > with its own thread.   (I see it as a slippery slope that ends with not
 > optimizing any file in any program in which a UB bug has previously been
 > found, which is pretty much any program.)
 >
 > I'd rather us not head down this path in the waning days of the freeze
 > period.

Well, yes, except that for code that one cares about the proper
response is an audit. In this case since it's sqlite2 and properly
nothing and nobody should still be using it, that's not really
worthwhile and it's reasonable to apply duct tape.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost