Re: gcc 7.5.0 as dependency for tcsh in NetBSD-8?

On Wed, 2022-05-25 at 21:10 +0000, nia wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 07:34:38PM -0400, David H. Gutteridge wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 May 2022 at 10:35:39 +0000 (UTC), John Klos wrote:
> > > Huh? tcsh on NetBSD-8 now requires gcc 7.5.0?
> >
> > This is fallout from r. 1.240 of mk/compiler/gcc.mk. As I follow it,
> > what's happening is that some changes applied are misbehaving such
> > on NetBSD 8.x, GCC 7 will universally be required from pkgsrc. This
> > is
> > indeed what I see if I test build any package. This should really be
> > discussed further in the "gcc runtime dependency" thread from last
> > week, so I'll move it there.
>
> If it's specifically the "don't select GCC 6" part that's causing
> problems, that part can be safely undone - the original motivation
> is no longer valid.

Well, the "don't select GCC 6" changes unmasked another issue that's
still there, as I touched on a bit in the other email thread here. For
now, I restored the GCC 6 handling that was there and left your other
changes as-is. I tested this fixed the issue on 8.2_STABLE and didn't
cause any issues on 9.2_STABLE (not that that would have been happening
before, either). That is a bit of a kludge, except, if we can use GCC 6
in some circumstances, that handling code should be there anyway.

The way the code handles certain aspects of versioning and decisions
seems to need further investigation. At a minimum, more comments would
help. I'm too burned out at the moment to tangle with it.

Regards,

Dave