Re: Proposal: remove OSF/1 support

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:48:31 +0000 (UTC)
John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:

> > According to a rather upset person on reddit, bootstrap has been
> > broken for years, and I don't think we have the capability to test
> > this platform even if we want to, since it's a proprietary platform
> > that only runs on hardware that is increasingly rare.
>
> I remember ages ago being able to run a whole SCO environment inside of a
> chroot on NetBSD. I've never tried OSF/1 on NetBSD/alpha, but if someone
> has Tru64 files, I'll give it a try.

COMPAT_OSF1 was removed in NetBSD 9 so this venue closed.

Qemu is not quite there yet either. It is closer than before because
a fairly complete open-source PALcode firmware was developed last year.
It still needs ability to run the stage 1 boot loader or an ECOFF kernel
loader to be able to run Tru64.

-Tobias