Re: autoswc and/vs. bmake/make and libtool -- how many developers use autoswc?

At Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:25:11 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: autoswc and/vs. bmake/make and libtool -- how many developers use autoswc?

> Am Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 11:25:27AM -0700 schrieb Greg A. Woods:
> > So with a pkgsrc version up to about two years ago I was using autoswc
> > quite successfully, with one caveat.
>
> That surprises me actually. IMO autoswc is fundamentally not sound and
> quite likely to introduce subtile problems. It can only ever work for a
> carefully curated set of configure.ac files. Just to name a simple
> example: language selection flags like -std=gnu11 vs -std=c89 affect the
> results of various header checks.

I agree there are some big caveats to using autoswc.

However I regularly build less than about 1000 packages, so I don't
imagine I run into very many of the problem packages, thus my question
of how many people might be more actively using it.

Plus I abhor the fact that configure scripts waste so many cycles
running the same tests over and over again, especially when everything
exists that's needed to cache and re-use the results!

I just ran across the another that seemed to have a real problem:  bison

But then again Bison has gone so far down the autoconf rabbit hole I'm
amazed it builds on anything.  Shouldn't any program like that be pure
Standard C + a tiny bit of POSIX, with no need for any #ifdef whatsoever?
It just reads and writes text files for goodness sake!!!

So my list where I've added AUTOSWC_DISABLE=yes so far is just:

devel/bison
devel/chrpath
devel/libtool[-base]
graphics/adwaita-icon-theme
lang/erlang			# because is messes up the cache file!
net/tcl-scotty		# I think -- it has an ancient configure script
net/trafshow

There is also at least one package that doesn't get any useful effect
from the cache file because its configure script is from the dark ages:

lang/js

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>