Re: cmake radical proposal

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2021-10-16 at 18:22 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>>Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>>
>>> I don't think that cmake is doing a relinking step during installation
>>> (like e.g. libtool). So having /path/to/build/dir in the rpath at all
>>> seems wrong to me.
>>
>>I used to think that too, but I have seen the scheme I describe in
>>action with geos (3.10, not yet in pkgsrc) as verified by objdump -x.
>
> Are you explicitly running with PKG_DEVELOPER turned off or something?

no

> Leaking RPATHs to the build dir is obviously completely broken, and
> check-shlibs should be catching that unless we're hitting a bug
> somewhere.

I think we aren't understanding each other.

In order to be able to runs tests in the build directory, there has to
be some scheme for build directory binaries to get not-yet-installed
shlibs from the build directory.  cmake does that by including RPATH of
the build directory.

When the install step happens, binaries seem to be relinked and the
files that are in work/.destdir/usr/pkg/{bin,lib} and so on have RPATH
that has /usr/pkg/lib but does not have any references to the build
directory.

Are you saying that having RPATH to the build dir *before installation*
to support testing is wrong?  I don't agree (as a pkgsrc viewpoint
treating cmake as an immovable object).

Or just that if something is *installed* and has a build dir ref, then
that's a bug.  That I agree with and didn't mean to suggest otherwise.