Re: Preferring .gz with pkgin

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 at 09:28, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:

> * On 2021-10-12 at 01:34 BST, John Klos wrote:
>
> >It has been asked on port-amiga@ and brought up elsewhere:
> >
> >https://github.com/NetBSDfr/pkgin/issues/112
> >
> >whether we can add a flag or another way to tell pkgin to prefer a
> >certain prefix over others for slower machines, or for machines with
> >less memory when we start to use xz.
> >
> >Thoughts or objections?
>
> Nia asked about this on IRC this morning, I said I'd take a look at it,
> sounds reasonable to me.
>
> While I have a captive audience, would anyone object to just dumping bz2
> at this point?  Seems like the worst of all worlds.

bz2 wins for a low memory high compute case, but probably not enough
over gzip to warrant the extra effort to generate, additional fetch
attempts etc.

I'd strongly support dropping bz2 to just have gzip and xz.

I'd really like to suggest pkgin defaulting between gzip & xz,
possibly based on compile time arch check, or even runtime memory
check (with apologies to anyone who has packed 512MB into their VAX :)

david