relationship of our node package to upstream, netbsd as supported platform?

I want to run "zwave2js" on NetBSD:
https://github.com/zwave-js/zwavejs2mqtt
It's written in node and is a bit complicated.

Trying to build with yarn, 3 things failed.  One was esbuild, because
there is no netbsd/amd64 binary in npm-land.  (And, because npm-land is
expecting to download binaries instead of building, but I can only tilt
at windmills of limited height.)

So I went to esbuild and submitted a patch to add binaries for NetBSD,
because thanks to wip/esbuild I know it works:

  https://github.com/evanw/esbuild/pull/1624

and the authhor thinks npm doesn't work on NetBSD because it's not
listed in a platform file.

I see in lang/nodejs that there are a lot of patches, only some of which
have comments and very few of which have upstream bug reports.   So I
wonder if node from pkgsrc does support NetBSD in some better way  than
building pure upstream, and if it is such that my pull request is likely
to result in something sensible at the moment.

Otherwise, I wonder if there's advice about how to stub out the esbuild
requirement with pkgsrc esbuild, and if that could be done in a
zwavejs2mqtt package.

(Two other packages need help, but those look easier to deal with.)