Re: PKG_DBDIR and pbulk

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> Hello,
> for the new upcoming branch we tried to switch PKG_DBDIR from /var/db/pkg
> to /usr/pkg/pkgdb on the TNF build cluster.
> cwrappers has been built, but then digest fails with:
> ===> Installing dependencies for digest-20190127
> => Build dependency cwrappers>=20150314: NOT found
> => Verifying /nonexistent for ../../pkgtools/cwrappers
> make[1]: don't know how to make /nonexistent. Stop

I am guessing a bit here but hope it's helpful.  Please straighten me
out where I'm off.

Let's assume we are talking about 9 amd64 first, even though I think all
4 cases (8,9)x(i386,amd64) are the same.

I am assuming that you have started in a state where /var/db/pkg does
not exist at all.

I think we have a situation where the system has a 9.0 userland and 9.0
kernel.  (Perhaps it's updated past some fixes for xen issues or threads
provoked by rust issues.)  This means that the pkg_install that is part
of base, or at least what's put int he chroot, is going to be hard-coded
for /var/db/pkg.

So, I think that any system with older pkg_foo that is going to build
recent pkgsrc, needs to have PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb in
/etc/pkg_install.conf, so that the older tools look in the new place.

I realize we have code to look for directories and pick defaults, but I
have been trying to say that explicit configuration is the best
approach, even if people can make a reasonable argument that it isn't
necessary.

There's probably a separate set of questions about if 9.2 has the pkgdb
change and if using 9.2 in the pbulk chroot is a good approach, in terms
of being sure the packages will work on 9.0.  However, I think anyone on
9.0 should be upgrading to 9.2, and I think how things work on 9.2 is
far more important.  Still, if our ABI compat story holds -- and I think
it does -- then building on any kind of 9 and running on any kind of 9
should be ok, as long as PKG_DBDIR is explicitly set in some of those
cases.

Surely I got some of that wrong....