Re: dbus

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Friday, August 27th, 2021 at 22:05, Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 09:28:11AM +0000, pin wrote:
>
> > Installing `dbus` generates a warning as follows,
> >
> > useradd: Warning: home directory '/var/run/dbus' doesn't exist, and -m was not specified
>
> This directory should be created by
>
> OWN_DIRS_PERMS+= ${VARBASE}/lib/dbus ${DBUS_USER} ${DBUS_GROUP} 0755
>
> in the dbus Makefile (during pkg_add). Probably the user is created
>
> first, can you check if the directory does exist despite the warning?
>
> What is the actual problem the user reported in the forum?
>
> Perhaps dconf needs to be installed.
>
> Thomas

Thanks.

Apparently this is an old issue, which I've somehow missed and was unaware of.

No, the directory does not exist, it's create upon starting the service, though. This is most probably the reason I've missed it before.

The warning is issues when installing and the directory is created when the service starts for the first time.

But, this was just a side track, the issues the user is facing have nothing to do with dbus. See, https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/570-xfce4-dbus-failed-to-start but also, https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/571-pkgin-statslists-return-seems-false