glib2, harfbuzz, pango fails to build macOS 10.13

On a macOS 10.13 machine with a pkgsrc bootstrap from long ago, with
everything updated and pkg_rr'd, I have for a long time had failures to
build a few things that use gobject-introspection.

The syndrome is that they build when the old version is not installed,
but fail in various inscrutable ways when it is, sometimes a symbol
error, sometimes a core dump.

So it seems that something is leaking into the build environment from
the installed package, and it seems this is only on macOS.

bulk build should avoid this, and I can, so it's not a big deal, but it
would be nice to fix (perhaps even after freeze as a fix seems likely to
be non-trivial).  Clues welcome.